The Crime Scene Investigator PCR Basics Kit allows students to simulate DNA profiling as it is commonly used in forensic laboratories. The laboratory activity introduces the concepts of PCR, which is widely used in forensics, diagnostics, and archaeological procedures. It is performed without the need for complex genomic DNA extraction steps.
With this kit, students:
- Perform real-world DNA profiling
- Use PCR to amplify multiple DNA samples
- Use agarose gel electrophoresis to visualize results
- Use fast PCT (55 minutes) and fast DNA gel (10 minutes) protocols
- Complete all activities in two 45-minute sessions
- Consumable refill kit contains PCR master mix, primers, crime scene and suspect DNA samples, and more; for educational use only