With the PV92 PCR Informatics Kit, students extract DNA from their hair follicles or cheek cells, and then use PCR amplification and electrophoresis to fingerprint their own DNA at a specific genetic locus. Using their own results, students test the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium theory within their classroom population, then go online to compare their classroom results to genetic data of populations worldwide.
- Introduces PCR and applies it to population genetics
- Directly measure human diversity at the molecular level
- Fast results — after PCR, separate the fragments in as little as 10 minutes
- Finish all activities in three 45-minute class periods
- Consumable refill kit contains PCR primers, positive controls, Orange G loading dye, DNA molecular mass ruler, PCR master mix, buffer, DNA polymerase; for educational use only